Friday, April 20, 2007

Power Cuts

I wake up to eerie silence and what seems like buckets of sweat pouring off me. The power is out. It’s 91 degrees in this room and it’s unbearable without the ceiling fan. I try to go back to sleep but it’s impossible.

Our kitchen has a thirty foot high ceiling with a metal roof that is screened around the sides at the top so it is always the coolest room in the house after dark. I decide to bring a body-length cushion in there to lie on the floor to go back to sleep. Is there something crawling on me? It can’t be a mosquito since the room is screened unless the screen has rusted out again. Something just bit me. It really hurts. There is a red spot on my foot. Ants. There are ants crawling on me.

I put the cushion on a table. I still can’t sleep. I have a combination of jet lag and an irritation to the mosque loud speaker eight houses down.

I can’t believe we live like this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like everything is going great. keep up the good work. flush one for me

Anonymous said...

I was a bit apprehensive about "flying solo" with the kids this weekend while the mrs. got away. Then I read this blog post and the 2 below it. You effectively adjusted my perspective.