Saturday, June 17, 2006

Traffic


It’s not strange to see three people on a motorcycle or scooter around here. There are many traffic accidents too. If I am going to die in this country I don’t think it will be by a terrorist or some crazy nomad I’m sure it will be in a traffic accident. It’s every man for himself on the roads. Drivers routinely pass cars when there is on coming traffic. Sometimes a passing car is past by a second passer at the same time. Countless times I have had to swerve off the road just seconds from death. You can’t take your eyes off the other traffic for a moment. Pedestrians will also walk right into traffic with out looking to see if any cars are coming. The few sidewalks that exist are filthy so people walk on edge of the road instead. Add numerous potholes into the mix and you have a formula for a dangerous situation. We know people who have killed pedestrians. Hopefully that will never happen to me.

5 comments:

Paulo Gama said...

HI FROM PORTUGAL
GREAT BLOG
NICE PHOTOS
5 STARS
VISIT ME ON MY BLOG TOO
:)

M and B said...

Africans bring a whole new level of "extreme sport" when it comes to motorcycles, huh?

Anonymous said...

Love what you've done with the site, Joe. Great stories and pictures. You are a credit to the Normals.

The Normals said...

thanks sis.

Jamie and Krista said...

I think my Dad has some similar pics of our family in the early days, except Mom was carrying Micah on the back!