Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Jottings…

In tribute to my close personal friend Sid Hartman I will give you a synopsis of happenings recently since it was impossible to write because the internet was out in the entire country the past couple of days.

On Sunday night I played in what I thought was the championship basketball game versus the Port (the team that beat us earlier in the season). We won by 2 points. It was ugly too. This team never loses so they didn’t know how to do it very gracefully. There was a lot of controversy at the end of the game about how many seconds were left on the clock. The scorer’s table was keeping track of the time and they blew the whistle to end the game but the other team didn’t think that it was right for some reason and a large shouting match broke out against the officials. Eventually they reversed the decision as what commonly happens here when enough people whine and make threats. This didn’t sit well with several members of our team and they decided to enter into the drama too when the officials said we had to play 9 more seconds. Our team refused to return the floor and we left with a victory (I tried to go back on the floor but got scolded by my team). It seems to me that the refs and everyone in this country is afraid to be decisive because they fear protests. As an American, frankly I find this irritating.

One of the players on the Port team was a guy I played against when we lived south of the border. It was fun to see him… and beat him.

The World Cup has begun and there is sort of a festiveness in the air. Every afternoon and evening local out door restaurants are crowded with men watching these soccer matches on television. Also it seems as if more kids are playing soccer in the streets even though it’s well over 100 degrees out. I wanted to schedule an appointment today on a work related issue but it has to wait until tomorrow because France and Brazil both play today. They are the favorite teams of most people around here. Even I have learned to like watching this sport. I never would have admitted that 5 years ago.

6 comments:

Stacy said...

Stay Strong man! I think soccer is a passing fad!

Michael

M and B said...

It's okay, you can give in! Soccer is a great sport to watch. I personally would much rather watch soccer than baseball. If I am ever having trouble sleeping, I look for a baseball game on TV.

DoubleE said...

Watching the world cup I respect the fact that they don't interrupt the games for TV time-outs like they do for every other US professional sport. It's all about the game...sponsors are relegated to the sidelines and scoreboard! In my opinion NBA basketball has become the worst professional sport to watch...what ever happened to Bird vs. Magic?

The Normals said...

Hey Doublee, welcome to our blog. I hope you enjoy your stay.

I agree about soccer being better to watch than baseball. I like watching baseball live but not on TV unless it's playoff time.

Soccer is really fun to watch. Like you said there are no commercials and a game is over in less than 2 hours.

But what I like most about soccer are the fans. The pre-game, during the game and the post game look crazy. They really love their teams. Whenever I see Viking fans or fans for that crappy team from Wisconsin acting fanatical I think they are a bunch of rubes. It seems different with soccer.

Jamie and Krista said...

Hi it's Jamie Erickson. Like your blog. Micah just tuned me into this whole thing. I love watching the World Cup, but don't watch any other soccer. Too bad Cameroun or Nigeria did not make it to this world cup. The teams representing the African nations have not performed too well, but it was nice to see Angola get somewhat of an upset on Mexico today!

The Normals said...

Hey welcome to the fun. It's good to here from you Jim (I'm not used to Jamie yet). I hear you're getting married. I'm happy for you.

I'me really getting into watching the World Cup too. Argentina dominated yesterday. They looked really good.

It seems like all the African teams I've seen play try to go one-on-one too much when they are attacking. They always end up in a dead end and lose it. They have a lot of talent but too much ball hogging.

In February we went to Cairo Egypt the morning after Egypt won the African Cup of Nations. They were fanatical about it. It was fun to be there.