Saturday, May 27, 2006

H5N1

A few weeks ago the Avian Flu was detected here. A girl from a small village about 10 miles from where we live became sick with the virus. Yesterday a security warning was issued by the US embassy for Americans to lay low because today the govt. is going to collect all the chickens in the country and they are not sure how people are going to respond.

This may seem like a big deal but we’re not too concerned about it. We’ve had many security warnings like this in the past for different events such as the cartoons of the prophet and the beginning of the war in Iraq. Really nothing has ever happened here against Americans or westerners in general since we have been here. We generally have good security although I’m a bit more concerned these days after Osama’s threat on individual Americans worldwide rather than just the US govt. on the whole.

Regarding the Bird Flu, we have stopped eating eggs that are laid locally and we have our house help leave their shoes outside the house. I’m not too worried about it since I have never seen any chickens in this country, although there are several crows and pigeons; real exotic African birds I know.

We’ll keep you updated.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Maybe you should check out this bird. Jennifer is selling this on Ebay... Better hurry.

Michael

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-BALD-EAGLE-USA-RUFFLES-POTATO-CHIP-JULY-4TH_W0QQitemZ9522926992QQcategoryZ1469QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Normals said...

Funny. I thought about bidding on it but quickly came to my senses. I always wondered who put they kind of stuff on there. Now I know who.

You Levangs are crazy.