Sunday, July 09, 2006

Zizou

I could relate to Zinedane Zidane getting kicked out of the World Cup Final. Of course I’ve never played at that level but my blog entry from June 19th relates to it. http://thenormalfamily.blogspot.com/2006/06/national-championship.html

It’s just a few minutes after the game and we don’t know why he head butted Mario Materazi in the chest but I’m guessing Materazi made a racial slur at Zidane.

Being in France I was pulling for them. If they would have won this place would have gone crazy even more than it did last week when they beat Portugal. But I can hear celebrations going on out my window now from Italian fans. We are close to the border here. Someone just shot off a cannon and there was cheering.
(see http://thenormalfamily.blogspot.com/2006/07/post-script-french-lightning.html)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a game. This was the first World Cup final I have ever watched. I actually got into watching quite a few of the World Cup games. France dominated virtually the entire game, yet could not finish. When Ribery exited in the first half of overtime, then by Henry in the second half of overtime, then shortly thereafter Zidane was removed with a red card, you could literally see it slipping away. France's three most offensive threats not on the field at the end of the game was crushing for them.

Anyway, I guess I'm glad they lost so I don't have to see a picture of you on this blog running naked through the streets of France.

p.s. I like the slideshow feature.

Jamie and Krista said...

It was a pretty good world cup. Zidane giving the head but will be in our memories for years to come. I personally think that Italy had something like that coming to them. They played most of their games hoping for the refs to win it for them and I thought that was unsportsman-like conduct.